Saturday, October 16, 2010

Goin' to Carolina.....

Happy Anniversary a day late, Tall One! I should probably write some mushy, heartfelt, dedication to the eternal love we share...
...
...
Sorry, it's not happening...

Yesterday we left Bigger in school, Baby killing mushrooms on Super Mario Wii, the Princess running in circles dribbling milk, and Daughter, defenseless...and drove 7 hours to visit PhD and Masters in their new home in North Carolina. Can anyone tell me how to get James Taylor out of my head?

Masters called me on the road, she was making her way into work, we talked and planned. We wouldn't see her till the next morning, as she works as a phone counselor (it has NOTHING to do with SEX!) and doesn't get home till after midnight. I was planning on drinking at dinner, and beyond, and knew that I'd never see midnight, no matter how much I missed my daughter-in-law.

PhD took us into town, where we ate at the local brew pub (I highly recommend the black bean quesadillas), drank at the whiskey bar and walked around exploring. It was a lovely, lovely evening.

This morning, we all went to the State Fair. No one had the guts to buy a Crispy Kreme bacon cheese burger, or even the chocolate covered bacon! I'm very disappointed. Masters did save the day with fried pickles with a fried Ho-Ho chaser...so I didn't have to pitch a fit.

We didn't see the pig races, either. We tried, But, the crowd was 10 deep at the track, and I would have had to push through small children and old people, and that seemed very rude here in the land of tender southern social graces. I think I'm having a blood sugar spike from the "pardon me mam"s and the "here you go, honey"s.

Oh, and in case you're keeping track...On Thursday evening, because it was decreed the start of our long weekend, I had some wine with our pizza. And, tonight, as I write and watch the college football game interrupted by flips to the baseball playoff game, I'm drinking sake.

1 comment:

Kristi DeMeester said...

No pig races!!?? You missed out. There is nothing better than watching a sweaty, be-mulleted man (or woman in some cases) swear at a slick-backed pig that "If you don't move yer' sorry ass, I'm out ten bucks! Move it, you sonofabitch!"