Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Grammy's Here!

Well, here we are again. I've spent an inordinate amount of time refining the appearance of the blog and my profile. Talk about an exercise in narcissism, and talk about futility (but not literally, cause that would be futile). It's nice to have this time, but could I put it to better use?
I should have a lot of "extra" time this week. My grandsons' Grammy from California is here to visit.

Daughter and Surfer Dude were married six years ago. They have graciously presented the world with two of the most beautiful, intelligent boys ever birthed. They live close to Tall One and me, so I get to see them almost every day! Actually, not just "see" them. We play and walk, they nap at our house (Daughter helps Tall One in The Business), we "talk" on the phone, and shop, watch t.v. and play "play-doh", go to the play ground, visit, laugh and scream and roll around like idiots, eat, drink, and, well, create huge amounts of tender, funny, heartwarming potential story lines. It's my job. When Grammy is here, it's HER job. (So I guess that would make me "laid off"? But, I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure they're going to rehire me. It's cyclical.)
Before the wedding, Grammy (she wasn't Grammy then but has since changed her name) and Grampa (same deal with name changing), came all the way east for the traditional "meeting of the in-laws". It was love at first sight.
Now, believe me, I know that there is a natural animosity between the mother-of-the-groom and the bride's mother. I have subsequently experienced that animosity to the nth degree with one of the other progeny's spouse's mother. But, in spite of the pressure of wedding preparations, obscene long distance, and the fact that Grammy is an intelligent, educated and accomplished professional, not to mention tall, sophisticated, attractive, slim, blond, did I mention tall (the real root of any envy or bitterness), we formed an immediate bond that has grown stronger and more appreciated with time and the birth of the mutual grandsons. She is my dear friend.
She is such a dear friend and this relationship is so much fun that, 1) she stays at our home (not with her son and my daughter) when she travels east, at least, four times a year at great expense and personal sacrifice. (She isn't a good flyer, and exceptional rates involve multiple layovers. It probably takes her longer to fly here than it would to drive straight through.) 2) Tall One added a room (well ok, just the walls, but we modified the layout) to make the accommodations more comfortable and to encourage those quarterly visits. For her part, Grammy is self-sufficient, never imposes and makes me laugh. She even cleans before she leaves...and, gives us presents. 3) She and Grampa are making plans to relocate after retirement. We are looking forward to this. 4) We have vacationed together as a family, twice! We rented a condo at the shore for a week! A week! Twice. We take their kids and our kids, with grandkids, and stay in the same condo, together, for seven days. We have done this two times. We are planning to do it again. 5) She calls me when I'm troubled. And I actually want to talk to her. And when we're finished talking I feel better. 6) My daughter, her daughter-in-law, loves her and I'm not jealous. 7) The grandsons love her, very, very much and I'm still not jealous.

The only problem I have with her is that before she changed her name to Grammy she was known as "The Tall, Attractive, Blond Woman".









No comments: