Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Vicariously Famous


I think I may have mentioned my love affair - with our DVR. How, oh, how did I ever watch TV in the before time? Tall One and I have our "must see" shows. We hit a few buttons on the remote, and when it's convenient we hit a few more, fast forward through commercials and cram one hour of viewing time into 40 minutes or so. Win/win.

We can also reverse, pause, and replay - even in real time. These features came in handy the other evening when we were watching the new episode of "Desperate Housewives". It's the one where Beau Bridges (omg, he's old)/handyman dies and everyone's reminiscing. I'm watching happily, lost in the glut of vicarious drama, trauma and intrigue. Poor Bree, sitting at the breakfast nook and compiling her cookbook/self-help book, years before the dream was realized. After being marginalized by her physician-first-husband, Bree is determined to earn the money for a new stove. It brought a tear to my eye, identifying so closely with the condescending, exploitative, inferior position in society that Bree has chosen to champion. When she told Rex, "I have a job", referring to her superlative housekeeping, I could have cheered! Well, ok, I did. I clapped, pumped the air and yelled, "You GO Bree, tell 'im. Tell 'em all!"

But, that's not the exciting part. As the camera focuses on Rex, there it is hanging behind him over the kitchen island! My light! Really, I have the exact same light over MY kitchen island!! Tall One didn't believe me at first and that's where the reverse, pause feature paid for itself. Reverse, pause, it IS my light, hanging in Bree Van de Kamp's kitchen.

Many years ago, when I was working as a personal assistant to Wheeler, he spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find out where to purchase a door like the one's in Frazer's apartment. He finally got a hold of a production assistant that told him the doors had been manufactured specifically for that set. I've read about some of the furniture and accessories crafted for movies and TV. Some of them are clever styrofoam. But, I know where Bree shopped for her lighting fixtures. Home Depot - 'cause that's where we got ours!


No comments: