Monday, May 19, 2008

Viva Fiesta!

I love my fiesta ware. It makes me happy...on many levels.

I had been talking about collecting it for years. Every time Daughter and I would walk through a department store, I would stop and gaze lovingly at the multicolored displays, so on my 50th birthday, Daughter bought me my first piece, a peacock blue pitcher. She was sick and tired of hearing about "someday", and thought it would give everyone the opportunity to buy me gifts I would really like, appreciate and use. You know how that is? She wanted to avoid any repeat of the "great-pig-gift-orgy", the "lesser-chicken-gift-glut", and the large donations to Goodwill after every birthday and major holiday. I have a shamrock colored serving bowl from Grammy. An antique pedestal bowl in yellow was a gift from MomMom. Two special friends, who happen to be sisters, bought me compote dishes in scarlet and peacock, and a fruit bowl in sunflower. Nana, who has bought me the majority, is the keeper of the fiesta ware gift registry. She has a record of every piece I now own, and she coordinates and delegates to other givers the appropriate purchases. It allows her to participate.

Most of the colors are represented, my dishes are a riot of variety! My cabinet doors have glass panes so the rainbow shines through. I don't have a favorite, but Daughter does. I save the sunflower mug for her. In addition to place settings, mugs, and a few serving pieces like bowls and a bread plate, I have salt and pepper shakers, a butter dish, a little container for artificial sweetener packets, and even a spoon rest, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of available inventory!

Tall One and I have begun to eat dinner together at the table instead of in front of the t.v. This is due mostly to a renewed interest in food after our trip to Greece, but the fiesta ware helps make it a celebration. It's fun to cook and present food in a pleasing fashion. I light candles. It's an event.

Coffee brings me comfort in the same way I imagine the British have tea. It's not the taste, or the caffeine, although those are nice benefits, it's the ritual. I like the familiarity of brewing. Most pots I make without thinking, but there's a process; cold water to the proper level, grounds measured according to taste and placed in the filter that's been arranged in it's spot.Turn on the coffee maker and listen for the distinctive sound of the automatic drip. I add the fat-free half-&-half to the cup first, and then pour in the hot coffee. It saves the step of stirring. I love the feel of the warm cup in my hands. And the bonus is the brilliant hue of the fiesta ware mug!

I'm reminded to find joy in objects usually taken for granted, appreciate the familiar people, make ordinary moments special, and acknowledge the rituals that provide me a sense of security.

Not bad for a set of dishes.





No comments: